Tuesday, 21 February 2017

WHY YOU SHOULD START INVESTING EARLY

As someone who's in my early twenties, most of my friends' opinion of investing is that it is something out of reach, due to the complexity of financial markets, as well as their perceived lack of capital. 

When I tell my friends that I've been investing since I was 18, most of them either think I'm crazy or say something along the lines of "you're going to be rich". I wish the latter was true, but unfortunately, due to some speculative bets that I made earlier in my investing journey, I'm still facing a substantial unrealised loss. Over the long term, I definitely aim to achieve a steady passive income through accumulating stable, dividend paying stocks.

My basis for investing is simple - as someone with time on my side, I'm able to ride out the short term volatility of the financial markets. I invest because I want to beat inflation - the interest earned on bank deposits is lower that the inflation rate - meaning that leaving your money in the bank would reduce its purchasing power over time. 


I often like to cite the example of banking stocks in Singapore: For the most part of 2016, when the share prices of DBS, OCBC and UOB were trading below their net asset values, it would have made more sense to buy their shares, instead of leaving your money in the bank! Paying less than the net asset value of a stock means that we are getting its net assets at a discount to what it is worth.


A few months back, I spoke to someone in his late twenties, who mentioned that dividend paying stocks made no sense to him. The reason he gave was:

'If I buy SingTel shares, the dividend is only 4.5%. By investing $5,000, I would only get back $225 a year, which is too little.'

While he was right that the dividend amounted to $225, it would still be many times higher than the interest earned by leaving the money in the bank. If he reinvests the dividends, at a return of 6% annually including capital gains, his initial investment of $5,000 would grow to $16,000 in twenty years' time. 

I believe that the main reason why people fail to see the benefits of compounding is due to the need for instant gratification. People like to see a quick profit being made, thus they prefer short-term strategies such as Forex trading or speculating in penny stocks. While I believe that there are professionals who are able to profit through short-term trading, I think that it is difficult for inexperienced retail investors like us to replicate their performance. Short-term trading requires one to constantly monitor any market movements, and most of us retail investors do not have the time to be tracking the market throughout the day.


On hindsight, I would advise beginners to start your investing journey with the STI ETF. An ETF is an Exchange Traded Fund, which aims to replicate the performance of an index. This is a cost effective strategy for those with limited capital. The fund's annualised compounded return from its inception in 2002 is 6.94% as of 31 January 2017. It currently has a dividend yield of 3.05%. Do take note that the fund has its limitations, as DBS, OCBC, UOB and SingTel collectively represents around 40% of the index, meaning that its performance is largely dependent on the financial sector. However, I believe that it is still the best option for diversification for those with limited capital.


To end off, I believe that we should begin our investing journey as soon as possible. For young adults like us, with time on our side, we can compound our returns over the long run, instead of leaving any extra cash in the bank. 


If you enjoyed reading my post, please 'like' my Facebook page to receive all the latest updates. It would also mean a lot to me if you could share my posts on Facebook. Thank you! :)





Disclaimer

This research report is based on information obtained from sources believed to be reliable. AlpacaInvestments does not make any representation or warranty as to its accuracy, completeness or correctness. Whilst we have taken all reasonable care to ensure that the information contained in this publication is not untrue or misleading at the time of publication, you should not act on it without independently verifying its contents. This publication has not been reviewed or authorized by any regulatory authority in Singapore or elsewhere. AlpacaInvestments accepts no liability arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of the recipient acting on such information or opinion or estimate. This report is not to be construed as an offer or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any securities. AlpacaInvestments may from time to time have interests in the securities mentioned in this report, and our opinions expressed in this report are subject to change without notice. This report is intended for information purposes only, and should not be regarded as a substitute to your own judgement. 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing how younger folks are thinking. There is a huge hurdle sometimes to overcome. I shared your post in my Group BIGS World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kyith,

      Thanks for dropping by again! Really appreciate your sharing of my post!

      Cheers! :)

      Delete