Monday, 13 March 2017

IMPROVING VOLUMES FOR SGX



February has seen some heavy volume in the local market, as the Trump rally continues pushing markets to new highs. Securities daily average value (SDAV) in February was 1.409 billion, as reported by SGX. SGX provides monthly information on market statistics and weekly institutional and retail fund flows.



SeptemberOctoberNovemberDecemberJanuaryFebruary


SDAV
($ Million)


9849341,3329961,0471,409



February's SDAV of 1.4 billion was 27% above the monthly SDAV of 1.1 billion for 2016, which is a positive development for the market. February's SDAV was the highest in the past six months, even higher than the 1.3 billion in November 2016, when the Trump rally began after the presidential elections. There is evidence that market sentiment is improving, as financial stocks have rallied on expectations for rising interest rates. The offshore and marine sector, which has been hit hard by falling oil prices in recent years, has also showed some signs of recovery as oil prices have stabilised.



201120122013201420152016


SDAV
($ Billion)


1.601.301.501.141.091.10


Trading volumes have been sluggish in recent years, and even though SGX scrapped the lunch break back in 2011 in a bid to improve trading volumes, trading volumes have been in a downtrend since then. SGX has proposed to bring back the lunch break, a move welcomed by some remisiers as it gives them the opportunity to meet with their clients.

To improve trading volumes, SGX has been actively engaging retail investors through the SGX Academy, which provides seminars to equip retail investors with investing knowledge. SGX is also considering the idea of allowing dual class shares to be listed here, to attract more high profile IPOs. Some companies prefer having a dual class share structure, as it gives the management majority or complete control over key decisions. One reason why SGX lost Manchester United's IPO to the New York Stock Exchange was because dual class shares were not allowed to be listed here. 

However, the prospect of having dual class shares also raises the possibility of weak corporate governance, as ordinary shareholders would not have to ability to vote on important decisions made by the management. Ultimately, a fine balance has to be struck between giving the management control, and safeguarding the interests of retail investors.



Source: SGX Annual Report 2016


While improving volumes of securities traded and being able to attract big name IPOs would benefit SGX, investors should note that equities and fixed income accounts for only 49% of SGX's revenue. The other 51% of revenue comes from derivatives, market data and connectivity. Investors should evaluate the different revenue streams of SGX before deciding whether we should invest in Southeast Asia's leading stock exchange.






Disclaimer



This article is based on information obtained from sources believed to be reliable. AlpacaInvestments does not make any representation or warranty as to its accuracy, completeness or correctness. Whilst we have taken all reasonable care to ensure that the information contained in this publication is not untrue or misleading at the time of publication, you should not act on it without independently verifying its contents. This publication has not been reviewed or authorized by any regulatory authority in Singapore or elsewhere. AlpacaInvestments accepts no liability arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of the recipient acting on such information or opinion or estimate. This report is not to be construed as an offer or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any securities. AlpacaInvestments may from time to time have interests in the securities mentioned in this report, and our opinions expressed in this report are subject to change without notice. This report is intended for information purposes only, and should not be regarded as a substitute to your own judgement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment